Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Only a few days before the start of the meet...

Well it's only a few days before the start of the swim meet this Sunday. So far, my training has been going alright. Although I've had a bit of setback this past week with a nagging cold that won't seem to go away. It seems I am getting sick often and it usually sticks with me for a while. Fortunately, I can feel that it's starting to go away now, so I think I should be fine by the weekend. I guess being a teacher, catching colds and other viruses should just be considered an occupational hazard. Although, I think I'm going to try and start to take more preventative measures in the future from catching more things. I'll try and use antibacterial cleanser several times a day on my hands to lessen the probability of ingesting germs.

Today, I think I'll go to the gym later on and do one last weight training session before the meet. Hopefully it will prove to be useful. I will also go to the gym on Thursday too but I'm just going to focus on cardio for that session and not do any weights.

I have to admit that after last night's practice, I've been feeling a little bit of self doubt as to how I'm going to fare this weekend. I've been training really hard and going to the gym several times a week to supplement my water training to try and significantly improve my times. The way I look at it is this. My best 50m freestyle time ever was a 27.4 seconds in a race. That was only about 10 years ago. Mind you, I did virtually no physical activity between 1997 and 2004 due to university obligations and difficulties afterwards from my parents passing away in 2001. I guess maybe I expect too much of myself but I can't see that I'm that much different today than I was back then. Sure, I'm a little bit heavier now and that does make a difference but I am not sure if it makes that much of a difference especially now that I've been back in the water for about 2 years now (not training nearly as heavily as I did back then). I should be able to go 28 seconds for 50 free. I certainly don't expect a lifetime best or anything but within 2 seconds of my best should be a reasonable goal. I am not sure what else I can do to make myself swim faster. I have to admit that I do feel a bit frustrated as I tried my hardest and was only about to pull off a 30.1 seconds. I think there are a few things I can do to improve it a bit.. but I don't know if I can improve 1 whole second :-(

The second sprint 50 we did on practice yesterday was a complete write off as I kept banging my hand into the lane rope as I was swimming. I totally lost my concentration and at about 60 meters. I kind of gave up and did a 34 I think.

Another thing I notice when I swim any kind of freestyle race is that I get incredibly nervous before the race whereas whenever I swim a backstroke race, I feel quite calm and serene. I am not sure why this is. It might have to do with the fact that when I was younger, freestyle was my best event and even now there are a lot more people competitive with me in freestyle than in backstroke. Maybe I feel nervous that I am not going to look good compared with them. I'm not sure. I wish there was a way I could get over this nervousness. Maybe that is making the difference.

Anyways, the meet is coming up this weekend. I will try and think positively about things and do my best to achieve results that I can be proud of.

3 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Blogger Joe said...

I'm exactly the same way with freestyle. When I was an age-group swimmer, I won most of my medals in 50 free, so I still consider it to be my best event. Therefore, I tend to put a lot of pressure on myself to succeed in 50 free. Pressure leads to nervousness. Nervousness leads to overthinking. Overthinking leads to shitty performances.

I have not won many fly races in my career but I like swimming fly. When I swim 50 fly, I don't put much pressure on myself because I don't consider myself to be a threat to the elite butterfliers. Therefore, when I swim 50 fly, I just tend to go out and have fun without thinking about it too much.

The key is to find a way to stop thinking about your freestyle when you swim it. For me, I try to get an upbeat and inspirational song in my head. However, it's easier said than done.

Another idea for this swim meet might be for you to not worry about breaking 29. Try to break 30 and be happy with it. I'd love to break 28 but I'll be extremely happy with 28.9, considering that my stroke has been sucking so bad lately.

I think laying off the weights for a couple of days will help you out. It seems that your muscles are sore almost every practice of late.

Try watching a movie like Saint Ralph on Saturday night, then get a good night's sleep.

BTW, there is a massive running race going on at UBC this weekend. Parking will be scarce. Perhaps we should car pool? I like to get there early. We can leave after your 200 back. Let me know.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Joe said...

That 17th Man guy (Joel) posted his best masters times.

His times are pretty quick even after converting from yards to meters (there is a link on my blog to a converter). He appears to be especially strong in 100s and 200s. He would probably be in the top heat of all events at our swim meets. Admittedly, I guess he is not quite as fast as I made him out to be (my bad). However, he's still faster than me and you! He's Darren-fast/Scott-fast but not quite Ian-fast.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Good luck at the meet!!! Use your nerves to help you swim faster....do your best, that's what counts! Don't put all the pressure on this meet, it's just one of many! See how you do and set realistic goals for the next meet! And visualize!! In college, we spent one hour a week on visualization, from walking out to the pool, to the feel of the water down when we dove in, to the exact tenth of a second we'd see on the time clock at the end of the race!! It really helps to go over the race in you head a few times like that, then when you do it, maybe you won't be so nervous....you've already done it!!

Good luck!! Have fun!!

がんばって! 

 

Post a Comment

<< Home