Thursday, March 29, 2007

50s backstroke

Last night was a fairly easy practice compared to what we did on Monday. We started out with 12x50 alternating 25 single arm fly, 25 freestyle for odd 50s and and 25 full stroke butterfly, 25 freestyle for even 50s. We did this on an easy 1:10. The next thing we did was a kick set which of course I elected not to go first. The main set was a set of swimming followed by sprint 50s of stroke. It went something like:
300 on 6:00
50 choice
200 on 4:00
50 choice
100 on 2:00
50 choice
1 minute rest
50 choice

Of course, I did them backstroke and I did really well it seems. For the 4x50 backstroke I did the following times: 39.6, 37.6, 38.0 and 35.9

The last one was really great. 35! I guess I'm not surprised but it bodes well for provincials if I can keep myself strong and healthy. I hope to be able to continue to swim well between now and then...

We warmed down with a 100 easy... overall I enjoyed this practice and hope to do something similar to it in the future.

2 Comments:

At 6:18 AM, Blogger Scott said...

I'd say those times are pointing towards some good times at this year's Provincials. I'm curious about how well you swam the 300, 200 and 100 - were they good times for the effort? A 50 time gives a good idea of your speed but your times for the progression will give you a better grasp of the current state of your endurance, something I'd have to say is more important to swimming the 200 back. I, for only a moment, thought of swimming that set entirely backstroke too, but realized Ian would mow me down at about the 200 mark. There are disadvantages to swimming in Lane Six.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Sounds like a recovery practice. Too bad I missed it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home